Imposing: Raby Castle in Spring 2009. Photograph by Glen Bowman (Creative Commons Generic Attribution 2.0 Licence).
Cumbria Roofing came to Raby Castle in 2014. The castle has been home to Lord Barnard’s family since 1626 and they turned to us for their roof. Our work entailed the installation of 8lb of new lead onto the roof of the East wing. This followed the installation of a new roof deck, designed to improve its insulation.
About Raby Castle
Raby Castle was built by John Neville, Third Baron Neville of Raby between 1367 and 1390. After Charles Neville, 6th Earl of Westmorland led the failed Rising of the North, the castle was taken into royal custody. In 1626, it was sold to Henry Vane the Elder. Much of the castle was rebuilt in the 18th Century. From 1833 to 1891, the family were the Dukes of Cleveland and retain the title of Lord Barnard.
The grounds of Raby Castle back onto the village of Staindrop with Langley Beck the physical boundary. It is surrounded by 200 acres of grounds, five acres of which is its walled gardens. The castle is also noted for its octagonal reading room and collection of artworks. It is open from April to September with guided tours and self-guided tours available.
As well as Raby Castle the neighbouring Barnard Castle was in the care of Lord Barnard’s family. Whereas Barnard Castle is owned by Heritage England, Raby Castle has been owned by the same family since their 1626 purchase.
Another thing that the two castles have in common is a musical connection. Both have been the subject of brass band contest marches with Raby (George Allan) and Barnard Castle (Goff Richards), popular with Third and Fourth Section Brass Bands.